Daylight saving time in Florida will begin at 2:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 10 2019. Spring is a wonderful time of year in Central Florida, so as we spring ahead, it is important that we do so safely. It is getting lighter out, and the weather is still cool, so we tend to spend more time outside. Unfortunately, burglars and can be outside targeting your home or neighborhood as well. Here are a few precautions you can take to keep your family and home safe:
- Close and lock windows. It is tempting to open windows to let the fresh air in. Just remember to close and lock your windows (and doors) at night or when you’re away.A surprising number of burglars enter homes through open or unlocked entrances. First floor windows and doors are especially well-liked by burglars—particularly when a burglar can be concealed behind fences or overgrown bushes.
- Cut grass to cut risk. Mowing doesn’t just make your yard look attractive, it also deters burglars. An overgrown lawn can let criminals know your home might be vacant.
- Keep your garage closed (and locked).Whether you’re working in the yard or out pumping your bike tires for a ride, having an open door lets others view everything you have in your garage. And if your garage is connected to your home, an open door may also give unwanted access.
- Prepare for vacation. Whether you’re traveling for Spring Break or just getting away for the weekend, it is a good idea to prepare so your home is safe while you’re away. If possible, keep at least one car parked in the driveway. Remember to hold the mail and newspaper. And set lighting timers to go on for a specific period of time each day you’re away.
- Don’t promote your plans. Do not widely share your travel plans on social media. Thieves use social media sites to target potential homes.