Choosing a career for yourself is no small task, what we choose to pursue is often a reflection of ourselves as an individual. In most cases, careers are narrowed down by one’s interest and how it will harmonize with their lifestyle and the available options. Entering the career field of security can be incredibly gratifying and fulfilling for anyone as there is such a wide variety of work to choose from. Here are ten reasons why you should choose a career as a security guard in Central Florida.
- Job Security: The first reason is job security, as there will always be a need for security guards. A great example of this would be apartment complexes, as they market to potential residents the fact that their property is patrolled and monitored. Security is now viewed by renters as an essential factor in deciding where to move to and has even branched out into gated neighborhoods to provide residents peace of mind.
- Rapid Training: Next up is the fast training, as all that’s required for most security jobs is being over the age of eighteen and having a clean record. Having a formal education is not a necessity to enter the field, which allows students to work their way through college, minimizing the idea of taking out hefty loans. Training is typically facilitated by the employer while on the job; however, there can be between eight to sixteen hours at a third-party training center in some states.
- Valuable Life Skills: This leads to reason number three as you will be able to learn valuable life skills such as first aid and how to respond to emergencies at these training facilities. You can also learn to better your communication skills on the job as well as your situational awareness.
- Flexible Hours: Reason number four is the rather flexible hours. Since many security jobs can operate in twenty-four-hour shifts, it will be easy to work around your schedule. This is perfect for those coming into or rejoining the workforce as it will be less of a challenge to find hours that line up with your lifestyle.
- Easy to Relocate: This moves into reason five as it will be easy to relocate if needed. Since security guard positions are in demand, moving for school or personal reasons won’t hinder you in finding work in a new location. This allows you to move locations without having the stress of searching for new employment.
- Variety of Work: Reason number six is the variety of work options. If desk work is what you’re looking for, you can find work checking in residents or employees of an office building, and monitoring security camera feeds. If you want to be up and moving, there’s work in patrolling properties and interacting with the inhabitants.
- Active Lifestyle: Following that brings us to reason number seven: choosing a career as a security guard can help ensure you have an active lifestyle. Walking is one of the best ways to help improve your overall health, as it has been linked to reducing the risk of high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and stroke. By doing your routine patrols, you are not only doing your work, but you are also doing your body a favor.
- Networking Opportunities: Reason eight is the networking possibilities! Through working in the security field, you will be bound to meet plenty of people, whether they be your other coworkers, employers, or residents. This provides a great opportunity to sharpen your people skills and make connections that benefit your work in the long run.
- Excitement: Reason number nine is the excitement your work can bring you. Unlike a standard nine to five, your work will have greater variety in the day-to-day tasks allowing each day to have new possibilities for what lies ahead. This brings a new sense of enthusiasm for what the next workday brings, motivating you to put your best foot forward.
- Possibilities for Growth: Finally, reason ten is the possibilities a career as security can bring you. On-the-job training can help you pursue a future career as first responder by helping you learn how to handle intense situations. Through being acclimated in your security role, the next step in your career path can be a smooth transition into your next big role.
These are just a handle of reasons why you should consider the career path of a security guard. Whether you’re a student or starting a new career path altogether, this is an efficient way to find a fulfilling career or take the right steps toward your end goal. We are always hiring security guards in Central Florida here at Apex Security. If you’ve been considering a career in the security field, we invite you to visit our Careers Page and fill out an application today!